keskiviikko 28. maaliskuuta 2012

Vielä kerran, käynti Key Westissä...

Vielä kerran, nyt kuuluisan SCUTTLEBUT:in kyydissä käynti viime talven KW:ssä jossa BC:n bändi kävi talviharkoissa. Tämä nyt tähän lähinnä kun lopun linkistä löytyy "lessons learned or reinforced". Kannattaa lukea, sekä purjehtijoiden että järjestäjien.

SCUTTLEBUTT 3557 - Wednesday, March 28, 2012
By Wayne Bretsch
In my role as principle race officer for the Division 3 course at Key West
Race Week this past January, my team was involved in an emergency situation
that occurred during the event. Involved in the situation was Tapio
Saavalainen and Arne Peterson, skipper and crew of Kalevala II (Grand
Soleil 37 B&C) respectively, who recently hosted several of us at lunch at
the Annapolis Yacht Club as recognition for our involvement. It was
enjoyable, interesting, and rewarding... let me tell you about it.
To back up to January, our opening day saw winds in the high teens with
gusts in the low to mid twenties, and we had two races planned. Within
seconds after their downwind finish of the first race, Kalevala II
contacted the RC on the competitors' VHF channel that there was an onboard
emergency. A crew member had severed his thumb.

With me on the RC signal boat was Peter Sarelas, who quickly took control
of the radio communication to coordinate the rescue. Tom Stalder, who
served on the RC gate mark boat, was directed alongside Kalevala within a
couple of minutes. Using a small racing mark as a fender, the injured crew
member (Arne) was sufficiently mobile to get into the mark boat with
another of the Kalevala II crew.

Meanwhile, Peter called 911 on his cell phone. Using the VHF, Peter
instructed Tom to take the injured crew member to Key West (about 6 miles)
while he made further arrangements with on shore emergency personnel. The
total time from the first VHF hail from Kalevala II to the time Arne was in
the ambulance was about twenty-four minutes. While Peter and Tom were
handling this incident, the remaining RC team continued finishing boats and
setting up the second race of the day.

Back to lunch, Peter, Tom, and I discussed with Tapio and Arne the injury
and the incident. Fortunately Arne lost his left thumb (he is right
handed). The injury occurred when he was helping to bring in the spinnaker
after crossing the finish line. Arne had a grip on a sheet which pinched
his thumb between the sheet and a stanchion or lifeline. His thumb was not
cut off, but instead was pulled off, and it was clear the efforts by Peter
and Tom helped keep a bad situation from becoming worse.
We also discussed lessons learned or reinforced, probably the most
important part of our lunch conversation... read on:

Ei kommentteja: